14-Day Cold Shower Experiment: Method to Reduce Anxiety and Kick Start Your Day Strongly
Benefits of Cold Showering & How To Ease Into It Today
Science Behind Cold Shower
Recently, I read an article about how Cold Showers can reduce anxiety. It says that a study in 2008 revealed that 2- to 3-minute sessions of cold water showers at 68°F (20°C), one to two times per day can help reduce depression symptoms.
The science behind is that:
- Cold showers help release endorphins and decrease cortisol, a stress-inducing hormone
- Coldwater immersion can lower your heart rate by up to 15%
- When you cool down your body temperature, your system responds by moving fresh blood, thus improving blood circulation
The Experiment: 3-minute of Cold Water in Each Bath
It is suggested, when using hydrotherapy for anxiety, we should only use cold water for a few minutes at a time. We can then finish our shower with lukewarm water. So I choose to incorporate at least 3 minutes of cold water into my bath schedule for 7 days.
- I started my experiment during my 7-day Chinese New Year holiday, where my hostel would automatically run out of hot water gradually after 10 minutes, so I didn’t have a choice at all😂 But I realized it would be easier to adapt to the cold shower if you add in cold water gradually.
- Now I run cold water in the last part of my shower for 3 minutes, where I’ll wash away all my shampoo and body wash. But I don’t just jump right into it, I try to add cold water bit by bit throughout my bath. The key is to reach the point of discomfort, then get used to it, and push slightly further.
- I started my experiment during a holiday, so I thought that might be the reason for my good mood, instead of the shower. But after I went back to work, and kept having a cold shower in the morning, I realized my overall mental state was better. I got less stressed and moody throughout the day.
- I now continue keeping my habit of taking a 3-minute cold shower in the morning and in the evening, and it becomes part of my daily routine.
Give it a try for 3 days!
Clap & leave a comment below on your result of cold showering.
P.S. If you want weekly emails on how to become your best self, subscribe here. A free relationship ebook “Mindful Love”+ Tim Ferriss’s Workout cheatsheet will be delivered to your inbox immediately.